01 Mar How To Savor The “Normal” Moments
We may occasionally think about savoring a bite of food, or savoring a special moment but today I’d like to talk about savoring some “normal” moments in your day. Taking time out for you; to breathe, be present and find beauty in the simple things.
Beach vacations offer great opportunity to step away from the normal grind, unplug the phone and computer and relish in what is. I find it hard not to do so when my toes are deep in the sand, the sun shines brightly on my face and the light breeze whisks through my hair. I’m sure you’ve had moments like this. If only we could transport ourselves to this beautiful place when we’re back to our work, when the pressure is on, our schedule is tight and we feel like there are too few hours in the day to accomplish all we need to do.
The simple fact of the matter is we can get to this peaceful place, and allow our mind to explore all that is possible even in the midst of chaos or a stressful time. It just takes a little focus and dedication.
Practice these simple steps and start savoring the “normal” moments in your day:
1. Begin each day with gratitude. State five things you’re grateful for before getting out of bed to start your day.
2. Focus on one thing at a time; be present with the one task you’re working on, or with the one person you’re with.
3. Function with a “can do” attitude. All things are possible; there are many ways to solve a problem so figure out what works best for you and the situation and move forward with a plan.
4. Breathe. Take nice deep breaths, the ones that fill your whole belly! Then exhale all the air out of your belly and repeat the cycle. Do this every hour for one minute and you’ll experience more calm in your day.
5. Choose to savor. Think about what is important to you in this life. (Family, relationships, good work ethic, exercise, healthy eating, and whatever else speaks to you.) Prioritize these things and be present with the important things in your life. When you are truly present, and focused on that one beautiful thing that is important to you, you’ll experience what it feels like to savor a “normal” moment.
6. End the day with gratitude: Before falling into restful sleep, state 5 – 10 things that you’re grateful for. Focus on the simple moments in your day; the smile you received from a stranger, the beautiful colors in the garden or the simple fact that you were able to problem solve and move forward with a solution.
None of this takes a great amount of time or effort, but rather a few minutes of time consistently throughout your day. It is with this consistent dedication and implementation that you’ll begin to feel the calm, and savor the simple or “normal” moments in life, just as you do the big ones.
Enjoy this time for you and savor the calm.