23 Jun Build the Perfect Smoothie
I recently shared a quick and delicious smoothie recipe and we got requests for more! So here you are my friends; this article will give you everything you need to build a delicious smoothie and the infographic provides a quick reference.
Green smoothies are a fantastic way to start your day, or to use as a meal replacement or snack. Not only can these smoothies be incredibly healthy, but they’re delicious! Crafting the perfect smoothie doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming, but a little planning will go a long way in making sure you’re getting the most nutritional benefit out of your smoothies.
Here are our top tips for crafting your own perfect smoothie!
- Balance your macronutrients (Protein, Carbohydrates, Fat)
- Helps stabilize sugar intake
- Provides quick and enduring energy
- Helps increase the metabolism
- Provides various nutrients and antioxidants to the body
- Helps with absorption of vitamins, minerals and nutrients
- Balance fruit sugars with leafy greens and vegetables
- Helps stabilize blood sugar
- Provides the body high amounts of various phytonutrients
- Helps fight disease with high antioxidant properties
- Provides good fiber for healthy digestion and removal of waste from the body
- Leafy greens are a great source of calcium and magnesium for strong bones and a healthy body
- Use various fruits and vegetables for daily creations
- Provides the body a variety of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients
- Food allergies and sensitivities are more prevalent when the same foods are consumed on a daily basis. Rotating your foods will help lower inflammation and ease sensitivities
- Each color in our food contains a variety of phytonutrients which provide us our best disease-fighting properties! Eat a rainbow of color every day
- Provide the body good sources of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fats.
- A ratio of 4:1 (Omega 6: Omega 3) is ideal for optimal health and to reduce inflammation in the body. Start by adding healthy fat to your smoothie; chia seed, flax seed/meal, coconut oil, nuts, seeds, nut butter, avocado, MCT oil
- In addition, follow these guidelines throughout the day:
- Avoid vegetable and canola oil and cook instead with coconut oil, olive oil, or avocado oil
- Avoid processed food products and select whole, fresh foods you can prepare yourself
- Nuts and seeds are great foods for our body but portion sizes should be kept to 1-2 oz. per day. Most nuts and seeds are higher in good omega 6 fats so balance this intake with some good omega 3 fatty acids throughout the day
- Salmon and sardines are great sources of omega 3 fatty acids: purchase only wild caught!
- Select healthy, organic protein sources
- Stick with whole food sources as much as possible: organic & sprouted options are best
- Brown rice protein powder and Hemp hearts are a favorite choice
- If protein powders aren’t your thing, you can opt for whole sources of protein to accompany your breakfast smoothie:
- organic eggs
- organic meats
- quinoa hot cereal
Begin with your liquid base (I prefer water), add soft foods like greens, avocado, fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts/seeds or nut butter, and top with frozen items. Blend thoroughly & enjoy!!
It’s always an honor and joy to serve and support you in health and happiness. I’d love to hear from you; feel free to connect with me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Believe it can be!