31 Dec Quiet Time, Breath & New Beginnings
We rarely get a moment of space and quiet unless we make the effort to create it in our day. Taking time to quiet the brain, connect with nature and create space for your own self love and care can feel impossible but it’s absolutely necessary to implement for our health and happiness. We tend to rush through the day, running here, there and everywhere, and we end up exhausted. Our days are full of family duties, work obligations, and the general busyness of life. We often feel our productivity comes from crossing off the items on the to-do list, and we find ourselves doing things we really don’t care to do.
The truth is, life on Earth is a brief gift, and our time is too precious to be used like this. If we want our lives to be balanced and healthy, we need to lessen our load and increase our time for self-care. This means planning less in a day, and prioritizing those things that make our hearts sing. If we must accomplish many things each day, we can still change the quality with which we complete the tasks. Taking even brief moments in the day to relax and breathe, or stepping outside to take in the fresh air, can reduce stress and provide you a renewed outlook for the day.
Belly breathing is an easy, transportable, simple task that can turn your outward thoughts to a moment of inward thinking, increase your body awareness, and provide you the opportunity to get in touch with your inner voice. When we rush through our days, we are inundated with outside noise, emotion, tension, and situations that can cause anxiety, chaos, and stress in our body. This is the type of activity that leads to disease in the body followed by aches and pain, fatigue, and other symptomology.
Join me for this exercise:
- Find a quiet space for yourself. Sit and get comfortable. Close your eyes, relax your shoulders, roll your head in a relaxing circular motion to the right and then to the left.
- Envision your belly as a balloon. The goal is to fill up every space of that balloon with air.
- Place one hand on your heart and breathe deeply in through your nose then exhale through the mouth. Breathe in deeply and let your belly expand as a balloon would. When you get to the “fill” line, take one more deep breath and pause.
- Now release all the air from the belly, deflating every bit of the balloon. When you get to the final little space of air, blow out one extra breath.
- Repeat this cycle of breathing for one minute.
- While continuing this breathing pattern, recite a positive intention on the in-breath and release the negativity in your life with each exhale.
- Focus on what you need at this time for your positive affirmation; if you’re struggling with self-confidence you might say something like “I am enough,” if you’re worrying about something out of your control, you can recite “All is well in this life.”
- Speak your affirmation clearly and confidently as if you already feel it and believe it. On the exhale, release the negativity that exists: “I release the need for control,” “I release all negativity,” or “I release all fear.” One affirmation with each inhale and one focused release with each exhale.
- Take in the positive energy of this moment and connect with yourself.
You should feel differently now than before you did the exercise. In one minute you can feel relaxed, calm the stress response in your body, connect with your inner voice and focus on positive thoughts and affirmation to carry you through the day.
Simple. Effective. Transportable. Necessary.
Every one of us can find one minute of time in the day, and if you’re lucky maybe one minute every hour. Do this for yourself. Make the time to belly breathe, and as you continue your practice, move your time up by one minute every week until you hit the five-minute mark. These five minutes will be one of your most treasured, refreshing moments of the day. This exercise is especially helpful in moments of anxiousness. You’ll enter your day with clarity and calm, and when you repeat this exercise before slumber it’ll support you in calm, sound sleep.
Many blessings to you as we all embark on new beginnings and welcome in 2020!
“Every ending is a new beginning.”
It’s a pleasure to serve you! Feel free to email me with comments or questions: connect@AngelaGaffney.com.
Bacon Cheddar & Tomato Scramble
2 tbsp butter (olive oil or a combo of both)
1 clove garlic minced
1 tbsp chives minced
Pinch of chipotle ground salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup cooked bacon diced
15 grape tomatoes cut in 1/2
1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated(extra for garnish)
8 whole eggs whisked in a bowl
In a sauté pan over medium to med high heat. melt butter, add garlic and chives, cook just long enough to smell it. add tomatoes and cook for about 2 min. add bacon,chipotle, salt & pepper toss around a bit. Add eggs. Cook about 1/2 way then add cheese and cook until eggs are firm and not runny (there might be some liquid from tomatoes), serve and enjoy!
Recipe compliments Angela Gaffney “The Daily Essentials Cookbook Collection Breakfast”