01 Jan The One Must-Have Habit For 2019!
Happy New Year! While there is nothing magical about January 1st, it is indeed a great time of year to focus on putting your energy towards new goals and intentions for the upcoming year. One of the most encouraging things about setting goals is that a single, small change is all you need to get started! Is your goal to get more exercise? Spend 5 minutes taking walk around your block. Are you trying to get more organized? Set a timer for 15 minutes and pick one kitchen drawer to declutter. Want to eat more vegetables? Add some spinach to a morning smoothie. Making progress doesn’t have to look big and fancy, you just have to take one step at a time.
Regardless of whether your 2019 goals have to do with exercise, diet habits, stress management, sleep or something entirely different, there’s one thing that we ALL can do to take a step towards our goals. You might not believe how simple it is, but it is so important:
Start your day off with breakfast.
It’s as simple as that! Breakfast is essential for a healthy life and has a whole slew of health benefits. It helps to lower cholesterol, provides more energy for the entire day, reduces sugar cravings, boosts short term memory and makes you more likely to consume more nutrients throughout the day. Needless to say, it’s important!
So to start the new year, I’m challenging you to begin each day with a nutrition-dense breakfast. Think plant-based nutrition (leafy greens, beans, whole grains, vegetables and low-glycemic fruits), lean protein (eggs, turkey, chicken, fish) and good fat (olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado).
The key to good energy all day long is staying away from the sugary food options which often include breakfast cereal, pastries, bread, yogurt, and pre-packaged granola bars. Opt for fresh ingredients and prepare ahead of time so breakfast can be ready in 10 minutes or less.
Here are some helpful preparation tips!
- Clean and chop all vegetables when you return home from the grocery store
- Clean your leafy greens and store with a paper towel to absorb moisture
- Sauté or roast vegetables ahead of time to quickly add to an egg scramble
- Have beans pre-cooked and ready to add to a breakfast burrito
- Purchase organic frozen berries for quick smoothie creations
- Have raw nuts on hand to add to your oats or creamy buckwheat
- Boil multiple eggs on Sunday so they’re ready as a to-go breakfast anytime
- Make your smoothie the night before and use a Blender Bottle to reconstitute in the morning
And to help you get started, here are some of our favorite breakfast ideas! Feel free to modify and add your own, and before you know it, you’ll have formed an important new habit to support you in whatever goals you’re taking on in 2019.
Happy New Year!