31 May Veg out on the Grill
Summer grilling always begs for the traditional hamburger or sausage, but it’s time to mix things up and add a little spice (and health) to your life!
One of my favorite summer treats is grilled vegetables; there’s nothing better than the caramelized, sweet flavors of vegetables melding together over a flame. Along with all of this tasty goodness, you provide the body a zing of disease-fighting nutrients along with plenty of vitamins for nourishment.
These simple steps will help you prepare your veggies for the grill, and boost any summer BBQ with beautiful color and flavor.
Basic guide for grilling vegetables:
- Wash the vegetable with water. You can use a brush on potatoes, and for mushrooms just use a damp cloth and wipe the mushroom down (no need to put under running water).
- Peel vegetable if necessary.
- Cut the vegetables into even sized pieces. The more consistent you keep the size of each piece, the more evenly your vegetables will cook.
- Put vegetables into a large bowl and lightly coat with olive oil. You may also toss with sea salt, pepper, chopped garlic, herbs and seasoning.
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat while the vegetables rest for 10 minutes.
- Put all vegetables into a grill pan, or on skewers and place on the grill.
- If the vegetables are large enough, you can place them directly on the grill.
- Turn vegetables for even cooking, depending on the vegetable it can be anywhere from 2 minutes to 5 minutes per side. Vegetables in the grill pan may take longer due to the volume and need for tossing.
- Remove from grill, serve and enjoy.
Have fun being creative! Try new vegetables, add more color, savor the flavor and enjoy every yummy bite.